How to get a conservatorship in California?

In California, family members can petition the court for a conservatorship. The conservatorship allows the conservator to make health decisions for someone with an addiction or mental illness.

As a family member,
you shouldn’t recommend your loved one for a conservatorship!

If your loved one is at risk of harming themselves, you should talk to a mental health professional. The professional can place them under psychiatric hold for up to 3 days.

At the end of the psychiatric hold, the professional may make a conservation recommendation to the local Office of the Public Guardian. The Public Guardian’s Office will ask the court for temporary mental health or drug abuse conservatorship.

Temporary conservatorship only lasts 30 days. At this point, you can request a conservatorship with the local court. If you want to be the conservator, you need to prove to the judge that you have the time and the ability to provide care for your loved one.

After the paperwork, if the court orders a conservatorship, the judge will review the situation every year. If the conservatee shows significant improvement, the judge can remove the conservatorship.

If you need support during this process, do not hesitate to contact us!